There are times when space becomes limited. And for some people (especially residents that are housed in backyard less houses), sometimes an empty roof can become an outlet for other leisurely interests (can also recreated into an outdoor space for accommodating guests) or hobby’s.
Now as for gardeners, the top area of their apartment or any other high-rise they’re in, can then be converted into rooftop gardens. There are a lot of rooftops that are rarely developed into something more useful that’s why a lot of people are getting more creative and more resourceful when it comes to space constraints (thus the evolution of green roofs for healthy cities).
Rooftop gardens are quite beautiful when developed the right way. Other than that, here are a few more reasons why people (most especially gardeners) work into this kind of activity.
- Gardening up on the roof (whether it would be the planting of vegetables, flowers or both) provides a means to promote the production of vegetables or plants within the city. So if you’re into growing rooftop vegetable gardens, or is just into flower gardening, then this can be a means of lessening some costs on your part as you will rarely need to buy certain goods at the market, should you run out of these.
- Doing your gardening on the roof also helps put off water from the rain. So you can count on your garden plants to soak in some of that rain runoff before the water level rises.
- Aside from rain runoff, your roof garden can also act as an insulator. Your plants will be the ones to absorb the daily dose of sunlight.
- Rooftop gardening can also help promote a temporary shelter for birds. They may be able to dwell in this area for the time being.
- With the presence of plants on your roof, you can also expect these natural beings to help improve the quality of air around you. It will also be able to help lessen the release of carbon monoxide. All the more reason for you to go into gardening, so that you may help contribute in helping save the environment.
- For those who are really not into creating a roof garden design on their own, can provide job openings for a lot of people who can do such. This applies to those who are into landscaping, construction, etc.
If there’s an opportunity to utilize the rooftop of your housing unit (even more if it’s just an empty space), then consider creating your very own rooftop garden. Rooftop gardens are the best way to go when it comes to making good use of unused areas. But also take note that when you do have such a space for use, make sure that it’s not against city and homeowner regulations.